Anne began practicing Iyengar yoga many years ago as an antidote to her demanding career at Nike. She is drawn to how yoga helps her slow down and focus.
Anne is a certified Iyengar Yoga instructor. She hopes to provide a safe environment for students to begin or continue their yoga journey. She wants students to explore, discover and experience the joys and benefits of this tradition. In addition to her class at the Columbia Grange, she’s currently teaching in Portland at the following studios:
- Jewel Yoga (formerly the Juile Lawrence Yoga Center) – https://www.jewelyogapdx.com
- Sunset Yoga Center – https://sunsetyoga.com
In addition to her teaching, Anne continues to take classes in Portland with senior teachers, and teachers who come here to visit. When not immersed in yoga activities, Anne enjoys spending time in the Gorge with family and friends, hiking, gardening, cooking, and learning to play clawhammer banjo.
Emphasis is on learning the fundamentals of alignment and yoga terminology. We will practice and explore (primarily) standing poses that stretch and strengthen the body to achieve balance. This 90 minute class is perfect for beginners to yoga, for continuing students and for students new to the Iyengar method. You must be able to get up and down from the floor to attend this class.
Schedule and Class Details
The current 5-week term term began on Saturday, September 7th. The last class of this term is Saturday October 5th.
The next 5-week term will begin on November 16th. The last day of this term will be Saturday December 14th.
Nov 2019Yoga with Anne – 11/16/2019 at 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Yoga with Anne – 11/23/2019 at 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Yoga with Anne – 11/30/2019 at 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Dec 2019Yoga with Anne – 12/07/2019 at 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Yoga with Anne – 12/14/2019 at 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Current Term Dates – Saturdays 9:00 – 10:30 AM
Registration and Payment Information
- Students can drop in to single classes and pay $12/class. Payment is due at the beginning of each class.
- Students can also commit to / pay for a 5 week term and pay $54 ($10.80/class). Payment is due at the beginning of the first class of the term.
- If you have taken my class before, or if we’ve corresponded about your yoga experience and health condition, feel free to just show up to class.
- If I haven’t met you or corresponded with you, please email me before coming to class.
- If you sign up for and pay for a term, you are committed to the term. There are no make-up opportunities for missed classes.
Coming to Class
- I will need each student to fill out a liability waiver prior to their first class.. Please arrive 5-10 minutes early to allow time for this
- Please bring a yoga mat. All other equipment will be provided.
- Many students prefer to come to class with an empty stomach; however, do what is best for your body
- Certified Iyengar Yoga Teachers are trained to accommodate a wide variety of issues in the context of their yoga classes. Please let me know if you have any injuries or health concerns so that I can guide you appropriately. I understand that this often feels very personal, but it will help us work together more effectively. And, if you don’t want to share this information in front of the group, please feel free to pull me aside so that we can talk a bit more privately
- Wear comfortable exercise clothing – shorts, leggings, tank tops, tee shirts work fine. Clothing should not be so tight that is is restrictive and not so baggy that it gets in the way. Also, baggy clothing hinders the teacher’s ability to view your alignment
- Please refrain from wearing fragrances (perfume, after shave, hair products with heavy fragrances, essential oils, strong deodorants)
- Please remove your shoes and socks for class. We practice with bare feet
Teaching Style: About Iyengar Yoga
Iyengar Yoga was developed by yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar during his more than 75 years of teaching, Iyengar Yoga is grounded in the ancient Indian tradition and philosophy of Hatha Yoga. The Iyengar method offers students of all ages and physical conditions and experience of yoga, which is safe, accessible and rewarding. The Iyengar method teaches a safe progression in the study of asanas (postures). The sequencing of the postures helps students to develop strength and flexibility, stamina, concentration, and correct body alignment.Problem solving is the basis of the Iyengar Yoga teaching methodology. What is required of students of Iyengar Yoga is a willingness to learn and to face challenges steadily, one step at a time.
Why Iyengar Yoga
Accessibility. Iyengar yoga has an entry point for nearly everyone regardless of age, gender, or state of health. The postures are modified with props as necessary to allow students to work at their appropriate level. A certified Iyengar teacher can guide all students to an experience of yoga, which is safe, accessible and progressive.
Longer holds of the postures. Longer holds allow the necessary time for a practitioner to take their awareness inward. With time and stillness, we are able to notice blocked, weak or rigid areas of the body. Longer holds allow for full circulation of vital energy (prana), blood and intelligence to the entire body.
Use of Props. BKS Iyengar developed the use of props such as blocks, straps, chairs, etc. to facilitate longer holds of postures and to adjust the body to accurate alignment. Proper alignment reduces extraneous effort and excess muscular tension, and prevents the development of hyper-flexibility which can be damaging to the joints.
Home practice. The Iyengar classroom is a learning environment that encourages students to take the new knowledge into their home practice. Without a personal practice, the study of yoga is incomplete. Iyengar students become self-sufficient, not teacher-dependent.